Mold comes in many colors, including black, white, gray, green, red and blue. The color of mold growth is not only influenced by the genus of the mold, but also by the conditions in which the mold formed, the nutrient source the mold feeds from and its age. Mold is part of nature and plays an important role by breaking down dead organic matter, such as fallen leaves.
There are many types of mold. Indoor mold is potentially harmful and should be eliminated when spotted. Black mold is the most harmful. Spores from outside can affix themselves to people, clothes, shoes, pets and anything else that provides an opportune conveyance for getting indoors. Mold can only grow indoors when spores land on wet surfaces. Mold cannot grow without moisture, so areas with leaky pipes and other wet spots are likely areas for mold to grow.
Mold can potentially cause health problems. It produces allergens and, in some cases, potentially toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mold may cause allergic reactions. Also, mold can slowly damage or destroy the surface it lands on. To get rid of mold, the water or moisture that the mold formed in must be removed or the mold will return.