Dangers of acetone are mainly due to its toxicity and flammability. When over 200 milliliters of acetone is ingested into the body, the liver is unable to break it down. Acetone poisoning is generally caused by starvation, chemical overexposure or various types of metabolic diseases.Continue Reading
Visually, acetone looks like a clear liquid and has a smell similar to nail polish remover. When pure acetone is exposed to the air, it quickly evaporates. As acetone is a highly flammable chemical in both liquid and gas form, it is dangerous to use around an open flame source. Acetone can be found in numerous household products, such as rubbing alcohol, nail polish and furniture polish.
The human body also naturally produces acetone in the process of breaking down fat. A low-fat diet generally leads to a higher level of natural acetone in the body. When the human body is exposed to high levels of acetone, it can lead to mild and severe acetone poisoning symptoms.
Accidental ingestion or inhalation of acetone for short periods of time can lead to lung, throat or eye irritation. High levels of acetone can also cause intoxication, nausea and vomiting. Intense exposure to acetone is also known to cause comas, seizures, kidney damage and death.Learn more about Chemistry