Q:

How dangerous is Aspergillus?

A:

Quick Answer

The household mold Aspergillus causes fungal infections in the lungs, allergic reactions and respiratory problems in some people. Some people have no reaction to the mold at all. Reactions depend on the person's health and the level of mold spores present at the time of exposure.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

This mold grows in the soil and on plants and rotting material. It is also found in dust and in some foods, such as dried fish. Symptoms of an adverse reaction to Aspergillus include difficulty breathing, coughing, wheezing and chest pain. Severe reactions include nose bleeds, difficulty talking, partial facial paralysis, swollen eyes and ulcers inside the mouth.

Learn more about Biology
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore