The compound with the chemical formula CuSO4 x 5H2O is called copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate, and it appears in the form of blue crystals, granules or powder. Also referred to as blue vitriol, copper sulfate pentahydrate is harmful if ingested.Continue Reading
In contrast to basic copper sulfate, a bactericide and fungicide compound that is insoluble in water, copper sulfate pentahydrate is water soluble and dissolves even faster in boiling water. Potential health effects caused by prolonged exposure to this compound include eye and skin irritation, allergic reactions and nausea.
Data from the National Pesticide Information Center states that the only two types of copper sulfate products contained in currently registered pesticides are basic copper sulfate and copper sulfate pentahydrate.Learn more about Chemistry