The components of a management information system (MIS) include hardware, software, data, procedures and personnel/users. A management information system can be defined as a system that provides organizations with the information required to manage them both effectively and efficiently.
The entire process of an MIS involves the collection, processing, secure recording and dissemination of information.
The components of a management information system further defined:
- Hardware: All the output and input devices that aid in displaying and feeding in the information
- Software: All the applications and programs that process the data
- Data: The actual information
- Procedures: A set of guidelines established by an organization to govern the use of the MIS, depending on the purpose and nature of the organization
- Personnel/users: The individual or group of people who utilize the system to prepare programs and plans