Magnesium metal burns bright white. The bright white light from magnesium contains ultraviolet light that can cause permanent eye damage, so the combustion should not be viewed directly.Continue Reading
In chemistry a flame test, in which materials are set on fire, is sometimes used to determine the presence of certain elements. When the material is heated sufficiently, a reaction causes electrons to jump from their ground state to a higher electron orbital. When cooled sufficiently, electrons return to a ground state and release energy in the form of light. The light released varies in wavelength based on the material contained in the sample and can then be compared to known results. The flame test is considered qualitative since it does not give any data about the exact proportions of elements and does not identify elements that do not produce a flame.
Magnesium is highly flammable and difficult to put out with regular extinguishers, so proper supervision and safety equipment must be worn at all times while magnesium is burning. Magnesium and its alloys can reach 3,100 degrees Celsius. Pure magnesium metal is not found naturally on earth due to its high reactivity. Magnesium plays a vital role in human biology cell growth and in plant growth, specifically in chlorophyll.Learn more about Chemistry
The chloroxylenol in Dettol is an antimicrobial disinfectant used to kill bacteria and to prevent infections on minor scrapes, cuts or burns. The substance is commonly found in antibacterial soaps, but it is also used to control bacteria, algae and fungi on industrial surfaces where clean facilities are needed. Some liquids that contain chloroxylenol must be diluted before application on the human body.Full Answer >
A well-aerated wood bonfire can reach temperatures of more than 2,012 degrees Fahrenheit and burns hottest in its final stages, when charcoal is formed. How hot a wood fire burns depends on the species of wood, its moisture content and the amount of oxygen it receives.Full Answer >
Walgreen's Pharmacy indicates that tincture of iodine is a topical medication used to prevent infection in minor scrapes, cuts and burns. Iodine tincture should not be used on animal bites or over large areas of the body. Iodine tincture helps to treat minor injuries when applied one to three times daily to the affected area.Full Answer >
Fireworks are dangerous because they are easy for amateurs to mishandle, possibly resulting in burns, fires, injuries and even death. The National Fire Protection Association reported eight civilian deaths and 40 injuries from fireworks in 2011.Full Answer >