There are seven basic characteristics shared by all living organisms, with one being that all living things reproduce. Another characteristic is the use of energy.
- All living things grow. This growth is due to cell division or the growth of cells.
- All living things adapt to their environment in one way or another in order to survive.
- All living things have molecular and cellular organizational structures. For instance, they organize cells at different levels such as tissue and organs.
- Living things change in response to their environment. Similar to adaption, they change behaviors and responses to match their surroundings.
- Everything living thing is made up of cells. There are two main types of living things, multicellular organisms and single-cell organisms.