Q:

What causes mold in a house?

A:

Quick Answer

Mold growth in a house is caused when mold spores come into contact with a wet surface, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. This is a constant for all the different forms of mold.

Continue Reading
What causes mold in a house?
Credit: Lee Rogers iStock/Getty Images Plus Getty Images

Full Answer

Outdoor mold plays an essential role in the environment, as its main function is to help organic matter decompose. However, indoor mold that comes into contact with moisture can cause significant health problems. Within a house, mold grows in areas with the most humidity and moisture, including bathrooms and basements. It may also be possible for mold to form during the construction phase of a home.

One of the most common health problems associated with molds are allergic reactions, which can be caused by touching or inhalation. While the side effects can be minor for individuals without allergies, allergic individuals may be at risk for asthma attack. This threat is greater for children, especially those with a predisposition to asthma.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have several recommendations for reducing the growth of mold in a home. In addition to using a dehumidifier or air conditioner during the humid months, additional measures include not carpeting bathrooms and basements, and ensuring that a home is properly ventilated.

Learn more about Biology
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore