What do you call a person who studies minerals?


Quick Answer

A person who studies minerals is referred to as a mineralogist. Mineralogy is the study of minerals and their properties, structures, identification and distribution. In mineralogy, there are many subfields in which a mineralogist can work.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

For example, a mineralogist may investigate the crystal formation of minerals. This is called crystallography. Mineralogists can also study gems.

They can work in a variety of settings, including mines, geological work, research, museum and teaching institutions. In geology, they may perform field surveys, chemical testing and identification of minerals. This can involve determining the distinct physical and chemical properties, such as density and melting points of these solid substances. Similarly, mineralogists who work for mining companies are involved in the recovery, testing and processing of mineral ores.

Minerals, which are formed in nature, are inorganic substances that also have crystalline structures. Table salt, also known as halite, is a mineral.

Learn more about Geology

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are clay minerals?

    A: Clay minerals are hydrous aluminium phyllosilicates that may contain varying amounts of iron, magnesium and alkali metals. These minerals are commonly foun... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is silica?

    A: Silica is a compound that occurs in rocks and minerals in the form of silicon dioxide, SiO2. It can be found in quartz, flint and sand. It is used to make ... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How is clay formed?

    A: Clay most commonly forms due to erosion or weathering; both methods involve rocks coming into contact with something, such as air or water, to form the cla... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is a silica tetrahedron?

    A: A silica tetrahedron is the basic unit of silicates, which are minerals in the Earth's rocks. The tetrahedron comprises a single positively charged silicon... Full Answer >
    Filed Under: