Brown mold is a type of mold that grows in damp, dark places and can be harmful to humans in large amounts. It is commonly found in bathrooms and in areas that are not cleaned well.Continue Reading
Brown mold is a generic type of mold and can be found in colors that range from a dark brown to an almost white. It is called cladosporium and is a very common household mold. As well as in bathrooms, it can also be found in kitchens, laundry rooms, basements and other areas that never completely dry out. For brown mold to survive, it needs to have moisture and a food source. It also requires some sort of darkness before it can thrive. Brown mold can feed off carpet, flooring, drywall and even materials in the home.
Any type of mold can be dangerous to the health, but brown mold is less harmful than the most toxic black mold (stachybotrys). Anyone experiencing a mold problem should take immediate action to prevent sinus issues, headaches and more serious health issues. The CDC recommends that people clean the mold with bleach but never with ammonia. The agency also recommends that people who are dealing with a mold problem allow better ventilation to the area and that if the mold problem is extreme, they contact their local chapter for the environmental protection agency.Learn more about Biology