The boiling point of the compound carbon tetrachloride (also known as tetrachloromethane or CCl4) is 76.72 degrees Celsius. This temperature translates to 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
Carbon tetrachloride exists as a liquid at room temperature and is a somewhat volatile solvent that gives off a slight odor. It is an inorganic compound that is essentially non-flammable. Carbon tetrachloride does pose a health risk to the central nervous system, kidneys and liver if ingested or if its vapors are inhaled. This compound has been used historically as a refrigerant and as a cleaning agent. It is also sometimes used in fire extinguishers. It is classified as a "greenhouse gas" and its vapors can cause damage to the ozone layer.