Q:

Are bluebells poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

According to the Kew Royal Botanic Gardens, bluebells are poisonous. Bluebells, or Hyacinthoides non-scripta, contain a toxic chemical called glycosides. In some individuals, direct contact with the plant can cause skin irritation, known as contact dermatitis.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Bluebells are also known as wild hyacinth, wood bell, fairy flower and bell bottle, according to the Kew Royal Botanic Gardens. They are from the Asparagaceae family and the Hyacinthoides genus. The bluebell is native to Europe, and it flowers in April and May. Bluebells are not only toxic to humans; cattle, dogs and horses can all become sick if they ingest the leaves of the plant.

Learn more about Botany
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore