Using uranium has many advantages and disadvantages, including the advantage of being cheaper than coal and the disavantage of it sometimes being dangerous to use. Its use is a topic of debate in many countries around the world.
Some of the advantages to using uranium for energy include the following:
- Uranium is relatively clean and does not contribute heavily to climate change.
- The process is extremely reliable and less likely to fail than renewable technologies.
Some of the disadvantages include the following:
- Nuclear energy production results in a byproduct of dangerous nuclear waste.
- Uranium is required for fission to take place, and it is a dangerous and unstable element.
- Nuclear reactors can occasionally leak.
Despite the fact that the nuclear debate remains a thorny issue for many, most scientists insist that modern nuclear reactors are far safer than they are portrayed in the media.