One of the advantages of offshore drilling is that it increases domestic oil production, while a disadvantage is the effect it has on the environment. While it has its positives, there are also definite negatives to offshore drilling.
Other Offshore Drilling Advantages:
- Offshore drill rigs provide jobs, stimulating the economy
- The government has the potential to increase revenue through royalties.
- Domestic production of oil reduces the reliance on foreign oil.
- Domestic production of oil could reduce gas prices.
Other Offshore Drilling Disadvantages:
- Pollution caused my offshore rigs has negative impacts on the environment.
- Oil spills such as the one in the Gulf of Mexico cause damage to animal habitats for years.
- Offshore drilling is very expensive.