Some advantages of deforestation include freeing land for agriculture, allowing human settlement, allowing for more wood products and enabling grazing. Some disadvantages include destruction of natural habitats, climatic change and extinction of animals and plants.
Below are a few of the advantages and disadvantages of deforestation.
- Land for agriculture Deforestation helps free land for agriculture. This increases yield for crops hence more food for human consumption.
- Land for human settlement Human beings need land for building houses and industries. Deforestation is a good way to acquire more land for these ventures.
- Wood products Products like paper, pencils and other construction materials are made from wood which comes from trees. Deforestation enables production of such items making them affordable to almost everyone.
- Enables grazing Livestock like goats, cattle and sheep require land to graze on. Deforestation gets rid of forest thickets and makes grazing much safer.
- Natural habitats By clearing forests, animals lose their natural homes. This means they have to migrate to other places in order to survive.
- Climatic change Trees play a vital role in ensuring a balance in the weather patterns. Deforestation causes issues such as global warming and unpredictable weather patterns.
- Extinction Deforestation destroys natural habitats leading to deaths of various animal species. It may also lead to extinction of unique plants and trees.