Food-grade hydrogen peroxide, or 35 percent hydrogen peroxide, is used as a topical disinfectant for surfaces in hospitals and restaurants. Some people claim there are medicinal benefits when the substance is swallowed. However, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warns all consumers not to ingest this high-concentration hydrogen peroxide solution.Continue Reading
Medical claims have been made for nearly 20 years that 35 percent hydrogen peroxide can cure AIDS, cancer, emphysema, COPD and other life-threatening diseases. These claims are completely untrue, and this substance should never be taken internally.
This strong solution of hydrogen peroxide disinfects surfaces for industrial and commercial use. A milder, 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution is typically available on store shelves. This common hydrogen peroxide disinfects wounds, cleans household surfaces and kills fungi on plants.Learn more about Chemistry