Last Updated On: September 10 2020
This section will serve as the notice at collection as provided in Section 1798.100(b) of the California Consumer Privacy Act.
Access to web search results or other general content on our Sites or installation of a browser extension does not require you to create an account. You can visit and use our Sites without providing us any identification (e.g., name, date of birth), contact (e.g., email address, phone number) and/or account (username and password) information.
We only permit third parties to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our agreements with them. Our service providers with whom we share your data may also engage vendors to help them process user data, so they can provide their services to us.
|Categories of Personal Information||How we collect it||How we use it||Who we share it with||Purpose for sharing|
|Your IP address||We automatically collect the IP address you use each time you visit our Sites. We get this information from your browser when it interacts with our servers. We log these IP addresses in our user visit logs.||This is to determine what country or state or province you are in to show you relevant search results, content, and ads. This is also to analyse fraudulent traffic patterns. We also analyse which regions of the world our users come from so we can develop search and content offerings for these regions.||
We share IP address, and your Site activities tied to your Unique ID with vendors who help
us operate our Sites by providing the following services:
We also share this data with our parent company IAC for security purposes. IAC analyses all traffic patterns from all IAC group companies for site security and fraud prevention.
These vendors process our user's personal information to:
|A unique ID assigned to your browser||
Every time you visit the same Site with the same browser, we recognize you as the same visitor through your Browser ID. If you use a different device or a different browser, or if you visit a different Site with the same browser, you will be identified as a different user with a different Browser ID.
This is only so we can count unique users and repeat users for each of our Sites. We can determine which of our Sites receive more repeat visits and which type of content causes users to come back to the Sites.
We do not use your unique ID to assign you to an “interest segment” for marketing or advertising, nor to target ads to you based on the searches you made, content you viewed or pages that you clicked on and visited.
|Your activities on our Sites||All of your actions on each of our Sites with the same browser (your visits, search queries, search results you click on, URL of the webpage you were last visiting before clicking to our Site, pages viewed, any installation of a browser extension, comments posted-where applicable, duration of visit) are tied to the Browser ID of that browser for that Site. Your browser has a different Browser ID for each of our Sites and so your actions on one of our Sites are not tied to your actions on any other Site.||
This is to count search queries, clicks, page views, repeat visits, time on site and other metrics so we can determine which search queries are trending, which content, web page layouts or user interface are the most popular or generates the most revenues.
This is also to determine payments owed to content and advertising partners, as well as marketing agencies.
If you install a browser extension, an installation ID will be created and tied to your Browser ID.
|Other technical information||
As you interact with the Sites, we may collect additional technical information via automated means:
||This is to present to you search results and content in your preferred language and present our Site pages in a format that best fits your device screen and format.|
|Email address you may submit||Some of our Sites may allow you to subscribe to daily, weekly or monthly email communications from us. If you decide to subscribe, you provide your email address to us. Your email address will not be tied to any Browser ID and therefore will not be tied to any of your other activities on our Sites.||We use your email address only to send you our own email communications. You can unsubscribe at anytime using the links in the footer of the email or via our HelpDesk.||We share your email address with vendors who collect email addresses and send emails to our subscribers on our behalf. When you interact with an email message that you receive from us, they may collect information about your device and whether you opened, read, deleted the email, or took any action promoted by the email. We do not sell your email address to any third party.|
|Contact information you may submit via our HelpDesk||When you fill out a form to contact us via our HelpDesk, we retain your email and any other information you provide.* We do not combine this information with any of your activity data and keep it in a separate database.||
This is used only to respond to your HelpDesk request. We do not use your contact information for any other purpose.
There is no need to provide to us (and we strongly discourage you from) providing any personally identifiable or sensitive information about you or anyone else such as your exact location, physical address, telephone number, health, race, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation.
|Our HelpDesk platform is powered by Zendesk. Your information is hosted by Zendesk.|
|Professional or employment information and education records||You may submit professional and education information about you when you submit a job application to us. We do not combine this information with any of your activity data and keep it in a separate database.||This is used only to respond to your job application and to retain your information to contact you in case a future job opening corresponds to your qualifications.||Our job application platform is powered by Greenhouse. Your information is hosted by Greenhouse.|
The chart below describes what data may be automatically collected by third parties when you visit our Sites via code that we implement to our Sites to allow them to access your browser. In certain cases these third parties are co-controllers of personal data with us. We only permit such third parties to collect and process your personal data in accordance with our agreements with them.
|Categories of Personal Information||How third parties collect it||Which Partners collects it||How they use it|
|IP address collected by third parties and third party cookies||
We implement on our Sites certain code provided by our advertising partners that enable them to:
This happens when we implement software code on our Site pages that allows our partners to interact with your browser, such as a pixel or beacon.
This is so they can:
|Internet usage data collected via cookies||
Such information collection and use by third parties via cookies and tracking devices only occurs with your consent where required (such as in the European Economic Area). It may qualify as a “sale” of personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act. For more information and how to opt out of any such “sale”, see Opt out of sharing for Interest Based Advertising in Section 5 below.
|Advertisers and digital advertising technology intermediaries who place interest based advertisements on our Sites.||They use tracking devices to place ads on our Sites targeted to you based on your past actions on our Site or on other sites (interest based targeting)|
Third-parties who provide us with products and services may also place cookies, ad tags and/or beacons that collect the information outlined above in order to provide us with products and services including analytics tools (e.g., Google Analytics) allowing us to analyze the performance of our Services and advertisers and ad networks allowing the delivery of targeted advertisements. These third parties may also collect information about you from other sources and combine it with other information collected about you from third party websites not affiliated with us. For example, advertiser and advertising networks, as well as data analytics companies who service them, may participate in interest based advertising and track your activity across various sites and/or devices where they display ads and record your activities, so they can show ads that they consider relevant to you. Where necessary, we will obtain your consent for these activities.
Technical information. As you interact with the Sites, we may collect additional technical information via automated means:
- Information about your computer or mobile device such as type of device, mobile device ID number, screen resolution, web browser information and operating system or platform
- Your browser preferences and settings (time zone, language, etc.)
- Internet provider or mobile service provider name
This information is also tied to your Browser ID.
Aggregated user information. We routinely aggregate the personal information of all of our users into user usage statistics for our Sites. With this aggregation, your personal data is mixed with other user data and becomes de-identified. We are not able to identify or re-identify you or any particular user. We do not treat de-identified data or aggregate consumer information as personal information and we reserve the right to convert, or permit others to convert, your personal information into deidentified data or aggregate consumer information. Sharing de-identified aggregate data with third parties does not constitute a sale or transfer of personal information.
Legal basis for collection. We collect and use your personal information on the grounds of the legal basis described below:
- Provide our services: we process your personal information to provide our web search and content services. This is so we can comply with our contractual obligations to you.
- Improving our services: we analyze information about how you use our Sites to provide an improved experience for our users, including product testing and site analytics. It is in our legitimate business interests to use the information provided to us for this purpose, so we can understand any issues with our Sites and improve them.
- Compensating our partners: we process your personal information for purposes of calculating compensation to be paid to our third party product/service providers and distributors and to analyze usage across products, services and distribution partner/channel. It is in our legitimate interest to appropriately determine amounts to be paid to our partners and inform our product roadmap and distribution strategy.
- Communicating with you: we may use your personal information when we communicate with you, for example if we are providing information about changes to the terms and conditions or if you contact us with questions. It is in our legitimate interests that we are able to provide you with appropriate responses and provide you with notices about our Sites and services.
- Exercising our rights: we may use your personal information to exercise our legal rights where it is necessary to do so; for example, to detect, prevent and respond to fraud claims, intellectual property infringement claims or violations of law or our Terms of Service.
- Complying with our obligations: we may process your personal information to, for example, carry out fraud prevention checks or comply with other legal or regulatory requirements, where this is explicitly required by law, such as responding to your request for data access or deletion.
- Customizing your experience, including ads: when you use the Sites, we may use information about your use of the Sites (queries you submitted, content you viewed) to customize your experience, such as by providing personalized elements and showing you content based on your recent interests. We may use automated decision-making for these activities. Upon your affirmative consent or request, we may use your browser information to send you notifications about content on our site via your browser. As required by applicable data protection and privacy laws, we will obtain your consent for these activities or enable you to opt out of these activities.
Third party links. The Sites include many links to third-party websites, services, widgets, ads, and other services. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy practices.
In addition to the sharing described in the chart above, we share your information with third parties for the purposes described below:
- Group Companies: We share de-identified search query data with Ask Applications to help them improve their products and services.
- Fraud prevention: we may disclose your information to third parties when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or respond to suspected illegal or fraudulent activity or to protect the safety, rights, or property of us, our users, or others.
- Law enforcement purposes and public safety: if requested or required by government authorities, such as law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, or otherwise to comply with the law, we may disclose any information we have about our users. We may disclose information collected about you in order to exercise or protect legal rights or defend against legal claims. We also may be required to disclose an individual’s personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- Sale or merger of our business: we may transfer your information to a third party if we or any of our affiliates are involved in a corporate restructuring (e.g., a sale, merger, or other transfer of assets).
Removing our cookie. If you remove our Browser ID cookie from your browser cache, we will no longer recognize your browser and activities until a new cookie is placed. Any future site activities you perform after you delete this cookie will not be tied to your previous activities which were associated with the removed cookie.
Removing Interest based advertising cookies. You can opt-out of third-party interest-based, advertising-related cookies, pixel tags and web beacons, to prevent our advertising partners to deliver targeted interest based ads to you. You can choose to opt-out through these (and other) resources:
- Network Advertising Initiative (http://www.networkadvertising.org/)
- Digital Advertising Alliance (http://www.aboutads.info/consumers)
- Your Online Choices (http://www.youronlinechoices.com/)
Removing Interest-based advertising from Mobile Tracking Devices. You may opt out of tracking and receiving tailored advertisements on your mobile device by some mobile advertising companies and other similar entities by downloading the App Choices app at https://youradchoices.com/appchoices
Other Privacy Tools. In addition, third party tools enable you to search for and opt-out of some of these devices, such as the Ghostery browser plug-in available at https://www.ghostery.com/.
Do Not Track. Do Not Track (DNT) is an optional browser setting that allows you to express your preferences regarding tracking by advertisers and other third-parties. However, we do not recognize or respond to browser-initiated DNT signals, as the Internet industry is currently still working toward defining exactly what DNT means, what it means to comply with DNT, and a common approach to responding to DNT.
Some browsers have signals that may be characterized as Do Not Sell signals, but we do not understand them to operate in that manner or to indicate a do not sell expression by you, so we currently do not recognize these as a do not sell request. We understand that various parties are developing do not sell signals and we may recognize certain such signals if we conclude such a program is appropriate.
If you do not wish for our advertising partners to collect your personal information for interest based advertising purposes, click the button below to “Opt Out”. As an alternative way to exercise your Opt Out right, you may contact us via our HelpDesk and we can provide further instructions on how to use the Opt Out button below. We manage Opt Out requests on a per browser basis, using your Browser ID cookie. This means that we need access to your browser when you click on the Opt Out button below in order to respond to your Opt Out request. We therefore cannot process any Opt Out request from a third party acting as your agent.
You have opted out of third party sharing by Reference.com for interest based advertising. We will no longer allow our advertising partners to use the personal information gathered from your browser’s activities for interest based targeting to you across various websites and services. However, while we do our best to contractually restrict our advertising partners, we do not always have the means to verify or audit their compliance with your opt out request because we do not have access to their data processing systems.
Our advertising partners will also be allowed to set or recognize a cookie on your browser only to provide services to us. This means that the personal information tied to your browser may still be used by our advertising partners to help us perform advertising-related functions such as measuring, reporting and optimizing the effectiveness of our ads, capping how many times you may see an ad, counting ad impressions and user actions taken after clicking on an ad, ensuring services are working correctly and securely, providing aggregate statistics and analytics, or reducing ad fraud.
You are not opted out of all interest based advertising, as some of our advertising partners may still target ads to you based on information they collected about you prior to you opting out. If you would like more information about how to opt out from interest based advertising from multiple websites and services, please visit http://optout.aboutads.info/#/ and http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#. You may also download the AppChoices app at http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices to opt out in mobile apps.
However, upon your request, and provided you are able to provide to us your Browser ID, then we may provide you with the following information collected within the last 12 months:
- Which categories of personal information we have collected about you (based on your Browser ID or other information you have provided to us), and how we collected that information, as well as the business or commercial purposes for our collecting such personal information.
- A list of the categories of personal information shared with third parties for a business purpose and the categories of third parties to whom we have shared your personal information.
- A list of categories of personal information that may have been collected by third parties when you visited our Site, and the categories of third parties who may have collected such information.
Please note that if you have provided to us your email address, or have submitted a HelpDesk request, or have submitted a job application with us, your contact information will not be tied to your Browser ID and we will not be able to verify that any Browser ID information corresponds to any additional information you provide to us. See below for requests regarding additional information you submit.
- Click on the Browser ID button below to get your Browser ID and copy your Browser ID to a safe place so you can later send it to us. Remember that this Browser ID is unique to this website. If you visit a different Site with the same browser, you will be identified as a different user with a different Browser ID.
- Contact us via our HelpDesk, click the “Contact Us” button, then fill out the form. Select “Request access to or deletion of your personal data” in the drop-down for the Subject field.
- Provide your Browser ID number
- Provide a written and signed statement confirming that:
- You are a resident of California, or a country in the EEA (please indicate which country) or another state where the laws provide you similar rights (please indicate which state)
- You are the rightful owner of the browser that corresponds to the Browser ID you are providing; and
- you are the sole user of that browser and no other individual has used the browser
- Clarify whether you are requesting us to (a) delete all of the personal information tied to your Browser ID; or (b) send to you information on the categories of personal data we have collected and shared that are tied to your Browser ID.
- To assist us in processing your request in a timely manner, please make your request in English if you are able to do so.
We manage requests to delete or access personal information on a per Browser ID basis, which is the only way we have of recognizing or authenticating a user. This means that we need access to your browser when you click on the Browser ID button above and will process your request based on that Browser ID. We therefore cannot process any request from a third party acting as your agent.
All requests for access or deletion will be reviewed by our legal and compliance team and we reserve the right, in compliance with applicable laws, to accept or reject, or make further inquiries regarding, any requests. We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated. We will typically not charge a fee to fully respond to your requests; provided, however, that we may charge a reasonable fee, or refuse to act upon a request, if it is excessive, repetitive, unfounded or overly burdensome. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, or that we may refuse it, we will give you notice explaining why we made that decision. You will be provided a cost estimate and the opportunity to accept such fees before we will charge you for responding to your request.
If you have provided your email address to us by subscribing to one of our Sites’ email communications, you may request us to remove your email from our database by contacting us via our HelpDesk. Note that your email is not tied to your Browser ID and so deleting your email will not automatically delete from our systems all personal information we have relating to your activities on our Sites. See Section 2 for more details on Browser ID related personal information.
Ask Media Group is headquartered in California, and in order to access our Sites, your browser interacts directly with our Site servers in the United States. By visiting or using our Sites, your data is automatically collected, processed and stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in the United Kingdom (“UK”), Switzerland, or the European Economic Area (“EEA”), this means your data is stored in a country the laws of which may offer less personal data protection than your country. We however comply with requirements set forth in the EU General Data Protection Regulation when we process your data, and you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data supervisory authority of your country if you feel that we have unlawfully processed your data.
Your personal data is also processed in the United States by some of the third parties with whom we share your data, as detailed in the chart in the Information We Collect, How We Use It, and How and Why We Share It Section above and in the Additional information about Sharing with Third Parties section above. We have entered into data processing agreements with service providers who process your data that restrict and regulate their processing of your data on our behalf.
If you are in the UK, Switzerland, or the EEA and you do not consent to your data being processed by us or by our service providers in the United States, please follow the steps outlined in the Right to delete section above and contact us via our HelpDesk, and please stop accessing our Sites.
We commit to resolve complaints about your privacy and our collection or use of your personal information. Inquiries, concerns or complaints may be submitted to us here.
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about your privacy. If, however, you believe that we have not satisfactorily addressed your complaint or concern, you may have the right to make a complaint to the data protection authority of your state of residence. AMG is further subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in the United States.
We have designed our Browser ID system so that we can manage our Sites while collecting as little information about our users as possible. We retain the information tied to your Browser ID for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose we collected it for and for the purpose of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information we process, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your information, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
If you subscribe to one of our Sites’ email communications and provide us your email address, we will keep your email address for as long as you open our email communications and six months after your email address becomes unresponsive to our emails or when you unsubscribe.
We retain information in our HelpDesk system for up to three years to respond to discovery requests in the event of litigation or have the ability to defend legal claims.
We retain information you provide to apply for jobs at Ask Media group for as long as we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to contact you if we have a job opening that fits your qualification, or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements) after which our service provider Greenhouse will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then they will securely store your information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
We take the security of your information seriously and use appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect your information against unauthorized or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage. We also limit access to information about you to employees who reasonably need access to it to provide products or services to you, or in order to do their jobs. However, because no security system can be 100% effective, we cannot completely guarantee the security of any information we may have collected from or about you.
Data Protection Officer
555 12th Street, Suite 300
Oakland, CA 94607