Are tulips poisonous to cats ?


Quick Answer

Although they are aesthetically pleasing, tulips are not pet-friendly and are mildly to moderately poisonous to cats. All parts of the tulip are poisonous, but most of the plant’s toxicity is in the bulb.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Signs a cat has ingested tulips may include vomiting, diarrhea and drooling. When cats ingest large amounts of tulip bulbs, they can experience difficulty breathing and an increased heart and respiratory rate. Cats, though carnivorous, sometimes nibble on a variety of plants, including the hundreds that are poisonous to them and plants that have previously made them ill. Poisonous plants can act as irritants, causing cats to experience inflammation, redness and itchiness of the stomach, skin and mouth. Some toxic plants affect a cat’s organs. Lilies, sago palms, azaleas, oleanders and chrysanthemums are also poisonous to cats. Other toxic plants include marijuana, peace lily, English ivy and amaryllis. If a cat ingests one of these poisonous plants, a trip to the veterinarian may be necessary. The veterinarian may give the cat activated charcoal to absorb toxins and sucralfate to protect the stomach. In more severe cases, the animal may need anti-inflammatory medicine or intravenous fluids. In the most extreme cases, cats can die from eating poisonous plants.

Learn more about Cats

Related Questions