Q:

Is tea poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

According to WebMD, the caffeine in tea is toxic to dogs. There is no sure antidote for caffeine poisoning, so an excessive amount is often fatal. Caffeine is also found in coffee, cocoa, chocolate, sodas, energy drinks, and cold medicines and pain killers for people.

Continue Reading
Is tea poisonous to dogs?
Credit: Cynthia N. Zulla Moment Getty Images

Full Answer

WebMD identifies several symptoms of caffeine poisoning, including restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors and seizures. The danger depends upon the amount of caffeine consumed and the size of the dog, Banfield Pet Hospital indicates.

Banfield recommends contacting a veterinarian if a dog ingests caffeine. A vet attempts to remove caffeine from a dog's system by inducing vomiting and dosing with activated charcoal to trap the poison.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Can dogs look up?

    A:

    Dogs can look upward to a certain extent. However, their neck muscles lack the same range of motion as humans, making it difficult for dogs to see directly above them.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What does wormed mean for dogs?

    A:

    A dog that has been wormed has been given medicine to kill internal parasites, commonly called worms. The process is also called deworming and may need to be done regularly.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do you stop dogs from digging?

    A:

    Stop dogs from digging by first determining why they are digging; different causes require different solutions. Dogs that dig for entertainment purposes require ways to amuse themselves and tire themselves out when left outside. Dogs that dig to catch prey, like small animals or insects, stop once the pests are taken care of. Dogs that dig for comfort or protection from inclement weather require a comfortable shelter to stop digging.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens when dogs eat Styrofoam?

    A:

    Styrofoam is not digestible and can get stuck in the dog's intestines, causing a blockage. If not treated, the blockage can kill the dog. Ingested Styrofoam can also cause damage to the intestines and other internal organs as it passes through the dog.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore