Q:

Are slugs poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

While slugs can contain parasites that are potentially harmful to the health of humans, they are rarely if ever poisonous. Slugs are invertebrates that are attracted to moist climates, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Slugs spend the majority of their lifetimes eating. They eat many things including algae, animal feces, plants, insects, worms, other slugs and lichen. One slug can eat its own body weight in food several times each day, which makes them extremely harmful in gardens. Slugs contain both male and female organs, which allows them to reproduce quickly once their reproductive organs have matured and when there is more than one slug in an area.

Learn more about Bugs
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Where do fleas live?

    A: Fleas are parasites that live on the exterior surface of a host animal. There are many different species of fleas, and each type of flea has a particular s... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is a kissing bug?

    A: A kissing bug is an insect that sucks blood from the lips of humans. The insect also transmits trypanosoma cruzi, a parasite which causes Chagas disease. Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How many bugs do you eat while sleeping?

    A: There have been no conclusive studies conducted that determine how many insects are swallowed by humans. The actual probability of a person swallowing an i... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Do centipedes bite?

    A: Centipedes can bite humans. In small centipedes, the jaws are usually too weak to break human skin. However, the bite of a large centipede is painful and c... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore