Are Skinks Poisonous?

Are Skinks Poisonous?

Skinks are not poisonous. A skink is a small lizard, with most species being a bit less than 8 inches long. It is one of the most common lizards. Some types of skinks make good pets.

Most skinks dig burrows where they can hide from predators such as birds of prey, other types of lizards, rodents, snakes, raccoons and possums. Other skinks live in decaying logs and under leaf litter.

Skinks eat small invertebrates such as insects and spiders. As is the case with some other lizards, if a skink is caught by the tail, the tail detaches itself. However, it grows back in time.