Q:

What should you do if your pet ingests poison?

A:

Quick Answer

If a pet ingests poison, contact a veterinarian or pet poison hotline. Move quickly; seeking treatment before symptoms appear tends to lead to better outcomes, recommends Banfield Pet Hospital. Owners should keep any further poisonous source material away from the pet and store it for future reference.

Continue Reading
What should you do if your pet ingests poison?
Credit: GK Hart/Vikki Hart The Image Bank Getty Images

Full Answer

Pesticides with zinc phosphide are particularly dangerous if ingested, says Banfield Pet Hospital. When transporting a pet that consumed poison, owners should have someone else drive if possible so they can focus on monitoring their pet. Pets in potential danger should never be given milk, salt or peanut butter.

Inducing vomiting is not generally a wise move, states Banfield Pet Hospital. It can cause harm, and if symptoms are already showing, the time to vomit has passed. Additionally, vomit brings the poisonous substance back up, which is particularly dangerous in cases such as gasoline and paint thinners. If seeing the pet's regular vet is not possible, have the pet's weight and medical history ready to tell the hotline staffer or vet on duty. The substance eaten and the amount are also critical information.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, or ASPCA, runs a 24-hour poison control hotline. Staffers take into the mind the health and age of the pet, the substance ingested and other factors when making recommendations.

Learn more about Pets

Related Questions

Explore