Q:

What should you do if your dog eats Tylenol?

A:

Quick Answer

Tylenol has acetaminophen in it, an ingredient that can be toxic to dogs in large quantities, according to the website VetStreet. A dog should be rushed to the vet after ingesting a dose of acetaminophen, as it could be battling acetaminophen toxicity.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

A pet owner, says VetStreet, often finds a dog might locate the contents of a bottle of Tylenol left out and eat the pills. This medication is not intended for canines.

Symptoms of toxicity can occur within 30 minutes, and dogs can endure liver damage from an overdose of Tylenol, VetStreet advises. The medication can cause difficulties for a dog?s blood to carry oxygen. They battle some symptoms such as issues with breathing, abdominal pain, vomiting, brown-colored urine, swelling of the face or paws, decreased appetite and even death.

In order to determine toxicity, a veterinarian may order special testing for a dog, says VetStreet. One of the remedies, the site says, is an antidote called N-acetylcyesteine that lowers the impact of acetaminophen on the dog?s blood and system. A dog may also be given intravenous fluids to counteract dehydration symptoms from the medicine?s side effects.

VetStreet says other remedies may include medications to induce vomiting, liquid activated charcoal to prevent absorption and a procedure with anesthesia to flush out the stomach contents.

Learn more about Veterinary Health
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore