What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate?


Quick Answer

If your dog eats some chocolate, first determine how much and what kind of chocolate the dog ate, then observe the dog for symptoms and call a veterinarian. If the dog has a fever, breathing problems or seizures, take it to a veterinarian immediately.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

  1. Determine how much chocolate the dog ate

    Check the container the dog got the chocolate from to determine how much was consumed. Use an online dog chocolate toxicity meter, such as the one available on petMD, to determine whether or not your dog consumed a dangerous amount of chocolate.

  2. Determine the type of chocolate

    Dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate are more dangerous than milk chocolate. If the dog consumed these types of chocolate, call a veterinarian or poison control center for specific treatment instructions.

  3. Observe for symptoms, and call a veterinarian if necessary

    If the dog seems stable and did not consume enough chocolate to be toxic, observe the dog for any alarming symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea or a rapid heart rate. If you suspect the dog consumed toxic amounts of chocolate, take the dog to a vet clinic or emergency animal care clinic immediately.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions