Although it is a popular alternative flea treatment, Sevin dust is not safe for use on dogs or other domestic animals. It can cause eye and skin irritation, and ingestion can lead to digestive upset.
Sevin dust, also known as carbaryl, is a mild toxin that can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested. This makes it a poor choice for use directly on dogs, as they may attempt to lick it off. Consumption of large amounts can lead to muscle weakness and severe vomiting that can cause to dehydration and death. There have also been reports of carbaryl causing birth defects in test animals, making it a dangerous choice for pregnant and nursing dogs.