Is It Safe to Give Dogs Paracetamol?


Quick Answer

According to Alpine Animal Doctors, the over-the-counter human pain reliever paracetamol should never be given to dogs. It is highly toxic to canines. Although some dogs die quickly after ingesting the drug, it builds up in the internal organs of others.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Alpine Animal Doctors explains that, over time, the accumulated paracetamol causes kidney and liver damage, stomach ulcers and anemia. It also changes the hemoglobin in red blood cells into a substance that is unable to carry oxygen. This leads to breathlessness and facial swelling.

Mild symptoms of paracetamol poisoning include upset stomach and fatigue, states Alpine Animal Doctors. More serious indicators are staggering, vomiting, dark urine and blood in the feces.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions