Q:

Are roses poisonous to cats?

A:

Quick Answer

Roses are not toxic to cats, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). However, Christmas roses, also known as hellebore, Lenten rose and Easter rose, are toxic when ingested by a cat.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Cats who ingest Christmas rose might show signs of stomach pain, diarrhea, drooling and depression, states the ASPCA. The Christmas rose is from the Ranunculaceae family of plants, whereas the common rose species is from the Rosaceae family.

Many other common plants pose a poison danger to cats, including lilies, mistletoe, poinsettias and marigolds, states the Cat Fanciers' Association. If a cat eats any of these plants or shows signs of poisoning, the owner should call a veterinarian or a poison control center such as the one operated by the ASPCA at 888-426-4435.

Learn more about Cats

Related Questions

Explore