Q:

Are raisins bad for dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

Raisins are bad for dogs because they cause a toxic reaction in the body. Such toxic reactions can lead to kidney failure, according to the ASPCA. Dogs of any breed and age may be affected if they eat raisins.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

It is not yet clear why raisins are harmful to dogs, causing them to vomit and have diarrhea. Dogs also lose their appetite and may suffer from abdominal pain after eating raisins. Excessive consumption of raisins can cause a decrease in urination. Kidney failure may lead to the death of the dog after 3 or 4 days. Keeping grapes and raisins away from dogs helps to keep them healthy.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Can dogs have grapes?

    A: Dogs should not eat grapes because grapes and raisins have been linked to canine kidney failure. Not all dogs develop kidney failure after eating grapes, b... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are grapes bad for dogs?

    A: Grapes and raisins are dangerous for dogs and should not be fed to them. Consumption of even small amounts of grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs eat raisins?

    A: Dogs cannot safely eat raisins or other grape products. Even small amounts of raisins can cause poisoning, kidney failure and death. Raisins are believed t... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why are grapes bad for dogs?

    A: According to the ASPCA, both grapes and raisins have been linked to kidney failure in dogs. The cause of the toxicosis is not known. Symptoms within 12 hou... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore