Q:

What is the problem with poinsettia and dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

Poinsettia plants are mildly toxic to dogs and cats and should be kept away from pets. The part of the plant toxic to animals is the sap, which is milky white.

Continue Reading
What is the problem with poinsettia and dogs?
Credit: H Matthew Howarth CC-BY-2.0

Full Answer

Signs that a dog or cat consumed poinsettia sap include drooling, diarrhea and vomiting. If the animal's skin came in contact with the plant, the animal may develop a dermal irritation with redness and swelling. There is no antidote for this type of poisoning, and symptoms are mild and typically go away without treatment. Plants more toxic than the poinsettia include holly, mistletoe and lilies, which can be deadly if consumed.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are huskies dangerous?

    A: Siberian huskies may be a danger to smaller animals such as cats and therefore are not considered a good breed for homes that have small pets other than do... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why do dogs make good pets?

    A: Dogs make good pets because they provide therapeutic and health benefits to their owners. They can help reduce a person’s loneliness, decrease stress and e... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why are dogs good pets?

    A: Dogs are good pets because they provide people with companionship, genuine unconditional love, more opportunities for regular exercise, lower stress levels... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs eat chocolate?

    A: Chocolate is toxic to dogs, and owners must take care to keep it away from their pets. It potentially causes serious illness and even death in dogs.... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore