Q:

Are poinsettias poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

According to the ASPCA and the Pet Poison Helpline, poinsettias are rarely poisonous to dogs, and their toxicity is often overrated. The Pet Poison Helpline says that poinsettias may cause vomiting and drooling in dogs and, infrequently, diarrhea.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The Pet Poison Helpline says that if a dog's skin comes into contact with the white and milky sap of a poinsettia, skin irritation can result, and eye contact may led to mild conjunctivitis. Symptoms normally go away on their own, and vet attention is warranted only in severe cases. The helpline says that lilies, mistletoe, holly and rosemary are far more poisonous.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What happens if a dog eats Advil?

    A: If a dog eats Advil, or ibuprofen, toxicity can occur. Advil can inhibit effective blood flow to the dog's kidneys and cause significant stomach irritation... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What do I do if my dog consumes onions?

    A: If a dog has eaten onions or garlic, he may show signs of toxicity 3-5 days afterwards, including fatigue, weakness or dark- or orange-colored urine. A dog... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Do dogs smile?

    A: Some dogs do appear to smile when happy, especially if they are panting. However, dogs also pull the corners of their mouths back when afraid or showing su... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Do dogs cry?

    A: Dogs do not shed tears when they are sad or hurt, but they do vocalize in a way that is commonly referred to as crying. These vocalizations are also called... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore