Q:

Are poinsettias poisonous to cats?

A:

Quick Answer

Poinsettias are considered mildly toxic to cats. However, their potential for harm is much less than that of other common ornamental plants associated with Christmas. Poinsettias, if ingested, can cause irritation of the mouth and digestive system, but there are no recorded reports of fatalities to cats from consuming them.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Poinsettias gained their poisonous reputation from an erroneous news story in 1919 about a little boy who died after eating a single leaf. While poinsettias do contain a milky sap that causes irritation on contact, it is very rare for ingestion to cause much more than mild diarrhea in either humans or cats. Other popular plants used to decorate for Christmas are actually much more dangerous to cats. For example, breathing in lily pollen can cause liver toxicity in cats and ingesting small amounts can be swiftly fatal. Holly and mistletoe are also very toxic to cats.

Learn more about Cats

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are heartworm symptoms in cats?

    A: According to the American Heartworm Society, coughing, difficult breathing, fatigue, vomiting and loss of appetite are common symptoms of heartworms in cat... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Do cats like music?

    A: Research indicates that cats can have positive, negative and neutral responses to specific music. The tempo, pattern and tone seem to be influencing factor... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are cats nocturnal?

    A: Although cats are commonly called nocturnal, they are actually crepuscular, which means they are active primarily at dawn and dusk. However, cats do not sl... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is dry heaving in cats?

    A: Dry heaving in cats is a non-productive attempt to vomit. Pet Health and Care explains that during a dry heaving episode, a cat displays forceful muscular ... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore