Some plants that are toxic to cats include English Ivy, lilies, oleander, tulip bulbs and azaleas, according to PetMD and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Cats enjoy chewing on plants, so it is important to keep them away from all toxic plants.Continue Reading
If a plant is poisonous to a cat, it is important to assume that the entire plant is poisonous and keep each part of the plant away from the cat, reports PetMD. When a cat eats a poisonous plant, it tends to have symptoms that are relegated to one organ depending on the organ that is affected by the plant. Some of the most-common symptoms include trouble breathing, trouble swallowing, excess drooling, excess vomiting and diarrhea. Cats who have eaten poisonous plants may also have a heartbeat that is too slow, too fast or irregular.
If an owner knows that her cat has eaten a poisonous plant, the cat needs to be transported to a veterinarian immediately for treatment. Without immediate treatment, the cat is likely to suffer long-term damage and even death, notes the ASPCA. On the way to the vet's office, there are a few things that the owner can do to help the veterinarian with treatment. First, any plant material that is on the cat's body should be removed. Second, the owner can identify what poisonous plant her cat has swallowed. This can help the veterinarian make a more accurate diagnosis and select the best course of treatment.Learn more about Cats