Chews made of pigs' ears are not safe for puppies or adult dogs according to PetMD. These chews can cause injury and disease.
Pig ear chews can chip or break your puppy's teeth, which can lead to infection and dental abscesses. Swallowing pieces of these chews can result in gastrointestinal obstruction that may be fatal if left untreated. In addition, experts have linked pig ear chews to outbreaks of salmonella in animals and humans.
To keep your puppy safe, avoid chew toys that are:
- Harder than its teeth, such as bones and antlers
- Easy to destroy and swallow
- Small enough to pose a choking hazard
Veterinarians recommend safe chews such as Nylabone treats, Checkup Dental Treats and Nutri Dent Puppy. Although rawhide bones are popular, destructive puppies may rip pieces off and swallow them, increasing the risk of gastrointestinal obstruction.