Is Neosporin poisonous to dogs?


Quick Answer

Neosporin is a topical medication that is poisonous to dogs when ingested on a mild to severe level and dogs should be taken to a veterinary hospital if they ingest any amount of Neosporin. When looking for symptoms in the dog, it should be noted if he or she is drooling, has a loss of appetite, vomits, has diarrhea, is drinking too much, is urinating too much, has tremors or has seizures.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Any of these symptoms indicate that the ingestion of the Neosporin is harming the dog and something must be done. Ingesting too much Neosporin or other antibiotics not intended to be ingested can cause tremors, seizures, liver failure, kidney failure and death.

The Pet Poison Helpline is available around the clock for pet owners who want to ask questions about Neosporin ingestion or other potential poison problems. The ASPCA also offers an Animal Poison Control Hotline for pet owners around the clock. Pet owners can call in with questions about plants, people food and possible poisons.

In addition to the medication Neosporin, there are many foods that are not safe for dogs even though they are safe for humans. Dog owners must watch their pets closely to make sure that they do not ingest any of these foods. These foods include apple seeds, avocados, coffee, garlic, grapes, gum, moldy foods, mustard seeds, onions, raisins, salt, tea, tomato leaves, walnuts, xylitol and yeast dough.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions