Q:

Are mushrooms poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

Some mushrooms are poisonous to dogs, although it is a challenge to identify the mushrooms consumed by a dog if the dog spends time in wooded areas or outdoors. There are many classifications of mushrooms that can cause negative side effects in dogs if consumed.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning vary from diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain to weakness, lethargy and uncoordinated movements. Yellowing of the skin, excessive drooling, seizures and coma can also result.

Some mushrooms cause the destruction of kidney and liver cells after consumption. Others affect the central nervous system while some may cause gastrointestinal symptoms.

Consumption of mushrooms that are poisonous to the dog constitutes a medical emergency and may require immediate hospitalization of the animal for the best outcome. Usually, charcoal is given via mouth. This treatment binds the toxins from the mushrooms in the intestines and stomach. The dog may also be given intravenous fluids to enhance urination and removal of the toxins from the dog's body. In some cases, the veterinarian treating the dog may decide to induce vomiting in the dog to ensure that the mushrooms and their toxins are expelled more quickly. The general prognosis of a dog that ingested mushrooms is good, although more severely toxic mushrooms can leave behind more complicated problems.

Learn more about Veterinary Health
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore