Inducing emesis on a dog can be done if a few steps are followed precisely. In some cases, it is necessary to induce emesis if the dog has ingested human medications, insecticides or other toxic materials. In other cases, inducing emesis can make the situation worse and cause further damage to the dog.Continue Reading
Call a veterinarian or an emergency pet hotline before doing anything. The Animal Poison Control Center can be reached at 888-426-4435, while the number of the Pet Poison Hotline is 855-213-6680. Keep a notepad and pen near your side before making the call. A veterinarian can give advice on how to proceed based on the current information, such as what the dog ate, its size and any health issues it may already have. Follow the instructions of the veterinarian as closely as possible.
Feeding the dog something light can sometimes cause it to vomit on its own if it has not eaten in the last two hours.
Measure approximately 1 milliliter of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide per each pound the dog weighs. This can be done with a syringe or a teaspoon, as one teaspoon is around 5 milliliters. Use a turkey baster or a needless syringe to squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the back of the dog's mouth. No more than 45 milliliters of hydrogen peroxide can be used, even if the dog's weight is greater than this figure. Wait 15 minutes before proceeding. If the dog has not vomited yet, give it another dose of hydrogen peroxide. If this fails, contact a veterinarian or poison control center.
Once the dog vomits, collect the residue and seal it in a leak-proof container for veterinary identification.