Q:

How do you make your dog throw up after eating something dangerous?

A:

Quick Answer

Without prescription medication administered by a certified veterinarian, the safest and most effective substance to induce vomiting in a dog after ingestion of poison is hydrogen peroxide. Use a hydrogen peroxide solution no higher than 3 percent, and administer it in dosages relative to body weight.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

  1. Decide whether or not to induce vomiting

    Induce vomiting immediately if your dog has ingested antifreeze in the last two hours. Call your veterinarian to confirm the appropriate course of action if you suspect your dog has ingested another harmful substance. Do not induce vomiting if the following applies: your dog is already vomiting; your dog is unconscious or weak; your dog has ingested a caustic substance such as bleach; or it has been more than two hours since the hazardous substance was ingested.

  2. Induce vomiting

    To induce vomiting, orally administer a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution in the dose of 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of the dog's body weight. Do not use a solution higher than 3 percent. To help make it more palatable to the dog, add a little vanilla ice cream or honey to it. If necessary, use a plastic syringe to get the hydrogen peroxide down the dog's throat. After administering the solution, walk the dog outside for a few minutes.

  3. Wait 15 minutes

    It will take about 15 minutes for the hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting of the stomach contents. If the dog does not vomit within 15 minutes, give him another dose equal to the first. Wait another 15 minutes. If the dog still does not vomit after the second dose, contact your veterinarian.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions

Explore