Are maggots dangerous to humans?


Quick Answer

Maggots can be dangerous to humans if it results in the infection known as myiasis. A person can acquire this infection through different ways, including ingesting fly larvae accidentally, having larvae burrow under the skin, through an open wound in which larvae are deposited or via the nose or ears, according to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

People can ingest fly larvae or maggots by eating food that is infested with this parasite. Cutaneous myiasis occurs when the larvae infest wounds or burrow into body areas, such as the bottom of the feet. These are called screwworms and can be found in the soil. A person also may acquire myiasis if he is bitten by a mosquito that is carrying fly eggs. Bot flies are types of parasite that can burrow into skin, and give an infection called furuncular myiasis, relates Merck.

Most of these infections occur in tropical and subtropical countries. A main symptom of myiasis is a lump on the skin. The treatment for this infection is removal of the parasite through surgery.

Learn more about Bugs

Related Questions