Q:

How long will a dog live after drinking antifreeze?

A:

Quick Answer

Kidney failure resulting in death after the consumption of antifreeze typically starts to develop between 36 and 72 hours in dogs, according to the Pet Poison Helpline website. Treatment of dogs who have drank antifreeze must happen within 8 to 12 hours of consumption for it to be effective.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Antifreeze is found either alone as a coolant or as part of another liquid, such as windshield wiper fluid or motor oil. Antifreeze contains high concentrations of ethylene glycol, which is extremely dangerous and can be fatal to pets and humans. If a dog is suspected of drinking antifreeze, it should be taken to a veterinarian immediately or its owners should call a poison hotline.

After a dog drinks antifreeze, the animal displays signs that are similar to alcohol poisoning. The dog may stumble, seem dizzy, vomit, and have excessive thirst or urinate frequently. These symptoms will stop between 12 and 24 hours after consumption, but at this point the animals heart rate might start to increase and the animal may have trouble breathing.

Between 36 and 72 hours after a dog drinks antifreeze, the kidney will start to fail. At this point, the animal may seem lethargic and depressed, and it may start having seizures and could possibly fall into a coma. If the dog is not treated, then it can die once it starts experiencing kidney failure.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

Explore