Q:

Does a Komodo dragon have poison?

A:

Quick Answer

A Komodo dragon does not actually have poison. The mouth of this lizard contains deadly bacteria that eventually kill prey. The bacteria cause sepsis, or a blood infection, in animals. If the animal does not die from the Komodo dragon's initial attack, the animal succumbs from the infection.

Continue Reading
Does a Komodo dragon have poison?
Credit: Mark Newman Lonely Planet Images Getty Images

Full Answer

The bacteria in a Komodo dragon's mouth comes from its eating behavior. Pieces of meat stuck in the lizard's teeth attract dangerous bacteria. These bacteria thrive and remain in the Komodo dragon's mouth. An animal that escapes the clutches of a Komodo dragon most likely becomes food for other scavenging Komodo dragons that find the dead animal later. Although the Komodo dragon's bite is dangerous to other animals, it poses no threat to other Komodo dragons.

Learn more about Reptiles

Related Questions

Explore