The jade plant is toxic to both cats and dogs. Veterinarians recommend that pet owners do not keep this plant inside their homes.
The jade plant goes by several names, including:
- baby jade
- dwarf rubber plant
- jade tree
- Chinese rubber plant
- Japanese rubber plant
No matter which name is on the sticker, the jade plant is highly toxic to pets. In cats, ingestion causes vomiting, depression, ataxia (loss of muscle control) and a slow heart rate. Without veterinary care, ingestion of the plant is fatal to felines. If a cat shows symptoms of poisoning, call a veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. The Animal Poison Control Center may charge a consultation fee.