Undercooked or raw pork may infect a dog with trichinosis, a disease that infects pigs with roundworm. However, uncontaminated pork in itself is not harmful to most dogs, though some breeds have difficulty digesting its rich and fatty content. Pancreatitis is another disease that dogs on a high-fat diet are at risk of.Continue Reading
Though any meat may contain the parasite responsible for trichinosis, pork is more likely to have it. In fact, the parasite, Trichenella spiralis, is also called pork worm. Other carriers include wild game. Eating infected meat can spread the disease to dogs, and humans too. Symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle pain and muscle stiffness. Humans may experience swelling around the eyes. The disease is treated with antiparasitic drugs, but can be fatal if left untreated.
Trichinosis is easy to prevent as one only has to avoid undercooked pork. Pet owners should take the added precaution of preventing access to waste that may include pork leftovers.
The New York State Department of Health recommends cooking pork products well at a temperature of at least 150 degrees Fahrenheit. The parasite can also be killed by freezing pork at a temperature of -13 degrees Fahrenheit or lower for at least 10 days.Learn more about Dogs
According to Cesar Millan, dog-bite prevention begins at home with your own dog by being a responsible dog owner. There are several things a dog owner can do to make sure his dog does not bite other people or dogs.Full Answer >
According to the Michigan Humane Society, it is dangerous to feed any type of bones to dogs; this includes pork bones. Small pieces or bone splinters can cause illness or death in dogs.Full Answer >
Dogs should not eat any cooked bones because the bones become soft and easily splinter when chewed. Splintered bone fragments can puncture the abdominal wall or intestines, causing internal bleeding or trouble passing other food through the digestive system.Full Answer >
Don't give a dog pork rib bones or any other type of cooked bone due to the risks of choking and digestive obstructions or lacerations. Even if the dog safely swallows the bone, it can still splinter and cause serious internal harm.Full Answer >