Q:

What happens if a small dog eats chocolate?

A:

Quick Answer

If a small dog eats chocolate, the small dog may experience symptoms such as an abnormal heartbeat, inflammation of the pancreas, vomiting, diarrhea and possibly even death, reports the Pet Poison Helpline. It is important to keep dogs away from all kinds of chocolate and to take any dog that has ingested chocolate in to its veterinarian immediately.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The best way to determine a dog's chances for survival is to see how much the dog has ingested. Dogs that ingest more than 0.5 ounces per pound of body weight and ingest more than 0.13 ounces per pound of dark or semi-sweet chocolate are at risk for severe chocolate poisoning.

Typical treatment for dogs who have ingested chocolate is to give them activated charcoal in repeated doses in order to decontaminate. The dog is also usually given IV fluids to help get rid of the toxins, as well as sedatives to calm the anxiety the pet feels as people are rushing around trying to help it. Sometimes anti-convulsants, heart medications and antacids are also given depending on the symptoms, writes the Pet Poison Helpline. The prognosis after treatment can range anywhere from excellent to poor, depending on whether or not the dog has had seizures or has collapsed.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

Explore