Q:

What happens to dogs if they eat chocolate?

A:

Quick Answer

If a dog consumes a large amount of a toxic type of chocolate, the result can be a racing heart rate, heart arrhythmia, tremors, seizures or even death. The type and amount consumed determines the dog's reaction.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The general rule about chocolate and dogs is that the more bitter and the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. An occasional chocolate chip cookie does not harm a dog, but a full square of baker's chocolate or dark chocolate may have harmful effects on any dog's health. The size of the dog must also be considered when deciding whether he consumed a dangerous amount as larger dogs can usually tolerate larger amounts of chocolate.

Learn more about Veterinary Health
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What happens to a dog if it eats chocolate?

    A:

    Dogs that eat chocolate can suffer from seizures, diarrhea, vomiting and in severe cases, death, as noted by WebMD. The chemical in chocolate, especially dark chocolate and baker's chocolate, is theobromine. A dog's digestive system does not process theobromine the way a human's does, leading to a toxicity buildup that can be fatal.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What can trigger a dog to have a seizure?

    A:

    Poison, liver disease, low or high blood sugar, and kidney disease are some common causes that can trigger seizures in dogs, according to WebMD. Anemia, head injury, an electrolyte problem and stroke may also lead to seizures.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why would a dog suddenly start drooling or salivating excessively?

    A:

    Multiple causes result in excessive drooling in dogs. WebMD reports that anxiety, anticipation of food, dental problems, heat stroke, distemper, rabies, tumors and motion sickness are all potential causes of hypersalivation. Cysts, tumors or physical injuries are also potential sources.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why would a dog be panting excessively?

    A:

    While it is natural for a dog to pant after exercise or exertion, excessive panting could be a sign that the dog is suffering heatstroke, has consumed something poisonous, has a heart condition or has some sort of respiratory disorder, according to WebMD. If the dog is panting even after it has been given water and has cooled down, it should be taken into a veterinarian to be assessed.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore