Q:

What happens when a dog licks a toad?

A:

Quick Answer

In Queensland, Australia, dogs have been licking poisonous, sweaty secretions from the backs of cane toads, resulting in copious drool, tremors, retching and even death. In 2014, the Huffington Post reported a similar case of poisoning in Florida.

Continue Reading
What happens when a dog licks a toad?
Credit: Samantha Wesselhoft Photography Moment Getty Images

Full Answer

Veterinarians speculate that canines may develop a taste for the poison with effects that are similar to a narcotic "high." One member of the University of Queensland's School of Veterinary Science who has treated the same dog several times in the course of a year for toad poisoning states that it is impossible to determine if a dog is intoxicated. Owners who suspect that their canine is poisoned should rinse the dog's mouth with water and contact a veterinarian.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are some nuts that are toxic to dogs?

    A:

    Macadamia nuts pose the risk of toxicity in dogs, causing symptoms of muscle weakness of the hind legs, fever, and pain accompanied by tremors, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Signs of toxicosis typically last for about 48 hours.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What causes head tremors in dogs?

    A:

    According to petMD, localized involuntary muscle tremors can cause a dog's head to shake slightly. Involuntary muscle tremors can also cause a dog's entire body to shake. Localized tremors that affect only the hind legs are also common.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens to dogs if they eat chocolate?

    A:

    If a dog consumes a large amount of a toxic type of chocolate, the result can be a racing heart rate, heart arrhythmia, tremors, seizures or even death. The type and amount consumed determines the dog's reaction.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if a small dog eats chocolate?

    A:

    If a small dog eats chocolate, the small dog may experience symptoms such as an abnormal heartbeat, inflammation of the pancreas, vomiting, diarrhea and possibly even death, reports the Pet Poison Helpline. It is important to keep dogs away from all kinds of chocolate and to take any dog that has ingested chocolate in to its veterinarian immediately.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore