Q:

What happens if a dog eats Advil?

A:

Quick Answer

If a dog eats Advil, or ibuprofen, toxicity can occur. Advil can inhibit effective blood flow to the dog's kidneys and cause significant stomach irritation, according to Vet Street. When stomach irritation becomes severe, it can lead to stomach ulcers.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

In rare cases, a dog's ingestion of Advil can prove fatal. Symptoms of ingestion may include poor appetite, black tarry stools, vomiting, weakness, dehydration and lethargy, according to Pet Place. Blood tests may reveal abnormal kidney function and anemia. While the ingestion of ibuprofen can be serious, it can be treated with continuous intravenous fluids. Other treatment methods for ibuprofen ingestion include the administration of activated charcoal and medications such as cimetidine, sucralfate or famotidine. These medications are typically used in the treatment of gastric ulcers. After the dog has been treated, repeat lab work is typically done to evaluate renal function.

Dogs who eat Advil may also experience platelet abnormalities, leading to abnormal bleeding, according to PetMD. Dogs may also experience severe vomiting, which can be treated with anti-emetic medications. In cases where stomach perforation occurs, surgical intervention may be needed. Seizures may also occur when a dog accidentally consumes ibuprofen. When seizures occur, anticonvulsant medications may be necessary.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

Explore