Q:

Are grapes toxic to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

Grapes and raisins are extremely toxic to dogs, so much so that even small amounts can be lethal. It is not known exactly why grapes and raisins are so toxic to dogs, but any amount can trigger acute reactions that require immediate treatment.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Symptoms of grape or raisin poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy, dehydration and a myriad of kidney-related problems that can result in renal failure. Inducement of vomiting is necessary if it is certain that the dog has ingested any amount of grapes or raisins. Vomiting can be induced through a ratio of 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per 5 pounds in body weight of the dog. No more than 3 teaspoons of the solution should be given at once. This process can be completed no more than three separate times, each with a 10-minute interval.

Learn more about Dogs
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What do you not feed dogs?

    A: There are many human foods that should not be given to dogs, but chocolate, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts and mushrooms are among the most dangerous. Som... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are grapes bad for dogs?

    A: Grapes and raisins are dangerous for dogs and should not be fed to them. Consumption of even small amounts of grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs eat raisins?

    A: Dogs cannot safely eat raisins or other grape products. Even small amounts of raisins can cause poisoning, kidney failure and death. Raisins are believed t... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why are grapes bad for dogs?

    A: According to the ASPCA, both grapes and raisins have been linked to kidney failure in dogs. The cause of the toxicosis is not known. Symptoms within 12 hou... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore