A Shih Tzu, like any other dog, should not eat food that is poisonous to dogs such as avocado, bread dough, caffeine, cherries, chocolate, garlic, grapes, macadamia nuts, moldy foods, mushrooms, peach pits, green potatoes and raisins, according to the Animal Poison Control Center and the ASPCA. These food items range in toxicity from a mild upset stomach to life-threatening diseases and even death.Continue Reading
Shih Tzus should not be given those food items and the dogs should also be kept away from human treats such as cheese that can lead to obesity. If the dog has eaten anything that is considered poisonous, the owner should call the Animal Poison Control Center hotline immediately and go to the veterinarian's office.
Shih Tzus are small dogs that weigh approximately 9 to 16 pounds and grow to be 9 to 10 inches tall (shoulder height). They are recognized by the American Kennel Club and are considered companion dogs. The name "Shih Tzu" means "little lion," however, the Shih Tzu is not an aggressive dog. They love to meet new people and are loving with their owners. The dogs can be a bit high maintenance though, as they require daily brushing for their long coat. They are also hard to housebreak and are susceptible to some illnesses such as heat stroke, due to their flat face.Learn more about Dogs