Q:

What do I do if my dog bites a frog?

A:

Quick Answer

Flushing a dog's mouth with water and seeking prompt medical attention is crucial after a dog bites a frog or toad, according to Petplace.com. It is especially important if the dog bites a venomous Colorado River toad or the giant toad, which is also called the marine toad.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Symptoms of exposure include pawing at the mouth and/or eyes; drooling and foaming at the mouth; difficulty breathing; unsteadiness; and seizures, states petMD. The dog may also run a fever and have an irregular heartbeat. The venom of the Colorado River toad and the giant toad can be fatal to dogs, even in small doses.

The veterinarian performs an electrocardiogram to monitor the dog's heart rhythm, notes Petplace.com. Supportive care with intravenous fluids, cardiac medications and sedation may be necessary. Testing does not show the presence of the toxin, so diagnosis is based on visual confirmation of toad parts in the digestive tract or based on reports from the owner.

Prognosis varies, explains petMD. If a dog gets veterinary treatment within 30 minutes, before large amounts of venom are absorbed, it has a good chance of recovery. If more time has elapsed, or if the dog is a small breed, its prognosis becomes poor.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions

Explore