Q:

Are chestnuts poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

American chestnuts are not poisonous to dogs, according to the ASPCA. The Daily Puppy warns an unrelated plant called the horse chestnut is considered toxic to dogs and other animals when consumed in large quantities.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

According to The Daily Puppy, the bark, leaves and nuts of the horse chestnut tree are poisonous to dogs when ingested. The nuts from the tree not only contain toxins, such as saponin, aescin and glycoside, but can also cause choking in dogs. When dogs consume horse chestnuts, or "conkers," vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, depression and coma can occur.

The Daily Puppy notes that a dog who ingests horse chestnuts or any part of the tree requires veterinary care. The vet may induce vomiting in the dog to expel the toxic elements, or she may administer activated charcoal to prevent the dog's intestines from absorbing the toxins.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are ficus trees poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    Ficus trees are toxic to dogs according to the ASPCA. Ingestion causes stomach irritation and vomiting.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What causes constipation in dogs?

    A:

    Constipation in dogs may be caused by too little fiber in the diet, a lack of exercise or as a side effect of medication, according to the ASPCA. Other causes of constipation in dogs may include ingested gravel, bones or sticks caught in the intestinal tract or a tumor in or around the anus.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are mums poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), chrysanthemum plants, or mums, are poisonous to dogs. They may cause vomiting, diarrhea, clumsiness, increased salivation and skin inflammation. If a pet ingests mums, the ASPCA advises that a local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center be contacted immediately.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs eat potatoes?

    A:

    The ASPCA does not consider potatoes to be harmful for dogs to consume but cautions that the green parts of raw tubers, namely the stems and leaves, contain toxic alkaloids that are harmful in large doses. petMD verifies this, adding that sweet potatoes are ideal snacks, and regular potatoes are fine in moderation but can lead to weight gain.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore